Name: Aliya (abailey @ smith.edu)
Sex: Female (she/her pronouns)
Location: Northampton, MA (Smith College) and NYC (Home)
Hi! I am looking for someone with the ages 18-25, gender/religion/sex a non factor, who is interested in writing long letters back and forth over an extended period of time. I am open to email exchanges as well/ in addition to snail mail. So if I seem like someone you’d like to write to, but are only interested in email exchange, please still message me! I am in college/university and am having a hard-ish time balancing school and work with making friends that I can talk with about things that aren’t surface level, so I’m hoping I can meet someone who I can write extensive and honest letters to about life, as it changes and moves.
- I am an independent student (I don’t have much contact/support with/from family).
- I work a lot and am majoring in American Studies focusing on the African Diaspora– specifically black American women, American slavery and Jim Crow. I am interested in law, non-profit administrative work, as well as social work for potential career paths.
- I am gay and have a cool girlfriend named Em.
- I am Black and Korean.
- I love love books, I am an avid reader and could send recommendations for days.
- Some of my favorite books: Horses Make the Landscape More Beautiful by Alice Walker, She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb, Harry Potter Series, Fences by August Wilson, and The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (there are probably a hundred more, but no more for now)
- I love most music: Etta James, Otis Redding, Ingrid Michaelson, Aretha Franklin, Kanye West, Jay Z, Lisa Fischer, Kendrick Llamar, Sara Bareilles, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, and like Kelly Clarkson lol
- I crochet and knit when I have the time, and would be down to send little gifts like scarves and hats sporadically throughout time.
My address will shift between my college mailbox and my home address in NYC, so that might get tough but I doubt it’ll cause any real confusion. Message me if interested!
Contact – among-the-free.tumblr.com/ or
(abailey @ smith.edu)